FIAN International is an international human rights organization that has advocated for the right to adequate food and nutrition for over 33 years. Its International Secretariat offices are based in Heidelberg, Germany, and Geneva, Switzerland. FIAN International is represented nationally by sections and groups in 25 countries worldwide.
The volunteer will be hired as part of the German-government co-sponsored “weltwärts South-North Volunteering Service” and work at FIAN International’s Secretariat in Heidelberg, Germany. She/he will assist in the following tasks:
- Support work on cases from South Asia, through research, documentation, human rights analysis, and communication with FIAN’s partners in South Asia
- Support FIAN’s advocacy work in South Asia with UN treaty bodies (especially the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women), UN Special Procedures, and other international bodies
- Support networking with CSOs, academics, and other actors in South Asia
- Support report writing to donor agencies
- Support the communication with FIAN sections and groups in South Asia
- South Asian national (up to the age of 28) currently residing in South Asia
- Bachelor’s degree in law, human rights studies, social sciences, or other related disciplines
- Work experience with local communities, social movements, and CSOs
- Strong English reading, writing and communication skills, including an ability to clearly explain complex technical issues in accessible language and synthesize and evaluate data
- Knowledge of human rights standards and mechanisms, particularly those relating to economic, social and cultural rights
- Experience in conducting research, both quantitative and qualitative
- Capacity to work independently as well as within an international team
FIAN highly encourages interested persons to apply regardless of origin, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.
- Work in an internationally renowned human rights organization for twelve months
- The opportunity to be part of a highly motivated and intercultural team
The internship will start tentatively on 1. January 2020. FIAN will provide the cost of travel, boarding, and lodging, pocket money, costs of accompanying seminars as well as social security and health insurance in Germany.
For further information please contact: Sabine Pabst - pabst(at)fian.org
Please email your application in one PDF (full CV, a motivation letter and a written sample (research, article) to: internship(at)fian.org with "Volunteer Application - Asia Young Professionals Program” in the subject line.
Deadline for application: 30 November 2019. Please kindly reminded that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.