FIAN International is a human rights organization that has advocated for the right to food and nutrition for 35 years. Its International Secretariat is based in Heidelberg, Germany and Geneva, Switzerland, and collaborates with national sections in 20 countries as well as partners and members in more than 60 countries. You can find more information at www.fian.org
The FIAN International Secretariat is looking for a communications expert to manage the campaigns and communications portfolio to promote the work and raise the visibility of FIAN International, as well as the right to food and nutrition at a global level.
The Communications and Campaigns officer will collaborate with the International Secretariat’s team of 20 employees, more specifically within the Strategic Communications Team, as well as with members from FIAN national sections and partner organizations.
- A communications and campaigns expert with proven experience in the non-profit field, ideally in the area of social justice and human rights
- Ability to translate complex ideas into accessible messages and for tailoring content to different target groups
- Strong interpersonal and coordination skills and working well in collaborative processes, especially between international organizations, networks and grassroots groups
- Self-driven and motivated, willing and capable to adapt to an intercultural, closely-collaborating team, with effective time management and organizational skills
- Design, implement and evaluate effective communication strategies and plans
- Secure and increase FIAN International's visibility and media coverage by producing quality and timely materials, including press releases, media briefings, e-newsletters, social media messaging, visual materials and short videos
- Coordinate and create the content of the organization’s website and social media channels
- Develop FIAN International's media relations by responding to media requests, pitching FIAN International stories, editing and ghost writing for strategic partners and colleagues, organizing interviews with spokespersons from the organization
- Coordinate and organize regular calls for FIAN International’s Communications Group and keep its members from national sections informed about key developments, as well as provide and organize trainings in communications
- Coordinate with translators, graphic designers, photographers, film makers, print shops
Experience and skills:
- BA/MA in public relations, communications, journalism, or in a related field, and at least 3 years of experience in communications, including digital communications
- Understanding of and experience in working for human rights issues, particularly on the right to food and nutrition, food sovereignty and food justice in an international context
- Excellent writing skills and proven experience in developing and editing written communication materials, including multimedia storytelling, as well as in handling social media campaigns on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Understanding to identify target audiences and suitable communications angles, and strategically place FIAN International in mainstream and alternative media. Established contacts with relevant media outlets and journalists is a bonus
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite or other software for video/ photo editing and report lay outing, experience in working with website CMS (e.g. Drupal ) and e-newsletter software (e.g. Mail Chimp), and willingness to explore and self-learn tools and software that can aid global communication efforts
- Experience in coordinating with external graphic designers, film-makers and media consultants
Language: English; Spanish or French is an asset
Location: The position can be based anywhere in the world, as long as the candidate has reliable internet and there is an overlap with the International Secretariat's working hours
Terms: This is a full-time position (40 hours per week). Initial contract is for one year, with reviews at 3 months, six months and a year.
Salary: FIAN International sets salary according to location and experience, in line with national NGO’s standards. Benefits include health and pension contributions
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application by: 16 April 2021
How to apply:
Please send the following by e-mail, preferably in one PDF document, to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A curriculum vitae
- A cover letter
- A writing sample in English (between 2-5 pages)
- Contact information for three references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and a written exercise.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.